Saturday, December 14, 2013

HOLIDAZE 2013: THE MAGIC OF THE MYTH OF CHRISTMAS

Castle Greyskull.

G.I. Joe Tactical Battle Platform.

Toy Biz's Marvel Superheroes Training Center.

Nintendo Entertainment System.


Some Christmas mornings are so unforgettable that they transcend and become magical. The moment when you get exactly what you hoped for. It had been a very long time since I had REALLY wanted anything for Christmas… until I saw the 6" Boba Fett with Han Solo in Carbonite San Diego Comic Con exclusive. 

Boba Fett. Most Notorious Bounty Hunter in the Galaxy. My favorite Star Wars character/figure ever, and, to this day, one of my most treasured childhood toys.

Being an exclusive, I knew I probably wouldn't be able to afford one-- if it was available online-- so I let it be. I later read that Boba Fett would be available in the second wave of Hasbro's The Black Series. While I had a glimmer of hope, I had kinda resigned myself to a Boba-less existence… and, as long as I didn't have Fett, I couldn't see myself starting a new collection in a new scale.

I walked past the Black Series figures countless times. At first, I was kinda thrown off by the larger scale, but the detail and articulation were amazing. I'd never really seen Star Wars figures of this quality at this size from an American company. While I was impressed, I was steadfast that I wouldn't collect them until I got my Boba Fett.

…Then I received a very cool, unexpected gift from a Secret Santa: 



Suddenly, I feel like a kid again. Opening it immediately took me back to my first X-Wing Luke (the original 1970s figure) and my MEGO Spider-Man. I easily spent a half hour at my workbench just messing around, posing him. 


For the first time in years, I'm actually psyched about upcoming Star Wars figures. Every day I check online for any hints of upcoming waves, usually fawning over leaked images of future products, like they were from some lost Sears catalog of yore.


The other night, my lady took me out for my birthday and wanted me to pick out a few gifts at the store. I made a bee line for the Star Wars section and found Greedo, Han Solo, and Boba Fett waiting for me. 


It was the moment I got exactly what I hoped for Christmas; when it transcended and became magical.