Thursday, July 4, 2013

THE MAN OF STEEL

Unlike my fanaticism for The Batman, I've always had mixed emotions about his Kryptonian counterpart. I LOVE the concept of Superman and how powerful he is, but also dislike the way he's always portrayed in movies and TV... a little too good; a little too wholesome. I think that's a disconnect a lot of people have with the character: NOBODY is ALL good. Each of us has a dark side, so to believe that Clark Kent is all Truth, Justice, and The American Way Boy Scout 1,000,000% 24/7/365 is hard to swallow.

David S. Goyer and Christopher Nolan understood that when they created Man of Steel, easily my favorite live-action portrayal of Superman ever. Their version of Superman has so much more depth and humanity, and is truly a fully-realized take on the character. I knew I had to make one for the collection...


Originally intended to be ready in time for the Man of Steel premiere, Superman was actually, officially completed July 3rd, 2013. While doing what I thought was the final test fitting, I noticed an issue with the arms that required sculpting, sanding, repainting, etc., which set the time-table back a few days... but this also allowed me to do something really special for the 4th of July weekend: FOUR BRAND-NEW, NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN pieces, one for each day!


Kal-El here originally started as a Mattel Man of Steel Superman, though I ended up only using the upper torso & neck and upper arms. The lower body is a combination of Spider-Man and Ghost Rider's boots, GI Joe lower arms, and hands from the fodder bin. After going through at least four separate heads, I finally decided on Duke with his hair repainted black, which looks more like Henry Cavill than the official movie figure.

All of the credit for the S symbol goes to Mario Guzmeli (AKA ilkhandraconis), my best friend and master painter/sculptor who absolutely knocked it out of the park. He took my ranting and ravings and delivered absolute perfection. He does do freelance work, P.S. 

The Man of Steel

World's Finest meet in Crime Alley

While I do have a version of Superman for my own universe (to be revealed...), I loved the way he looked alongside my Gotham's Most Wanted version of Batman. My take is always the same though: Superman is the first sign of alien life known to humanity. The extent of his powers is still unknown, and though he is technically considered a vigilante by the US government, he has cooperated with them on hundreds of assignments and saved the Earth countless times. The United States knows it cannot apprehend and hold Superman, so it does not even attempt to do so...

A punch from Zod sends Superman through a bank wall...

Zod will burn...





HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY FROM STRANGE LABS!



NEXT TIME: KNEEL...