Thursday, July 18, 2013

THE COOL, CRUEL CAPTAIN COLD


What is it about villains with cold-based superpowers/super-gadgets? The tragic Victor Fries will always be my #1, so I guess that makes Leonard Snart here #2... Though I'm sure I saw him in a variety of media as a kid, my first solid recollections occurred as a teenager, seeing him as a guest baddie on the Batman/Superman Hour, etc. He's kinda over-the-top, but he at least seems like more fun than glum, "Let's Kill Humanity" Mr. Freeze.



Completed in July 2013, Captain Cold is primarily a 25th Anniversary Arctic Snake-Eyes, with some fur from a Snow Serpent and a head from a Han Solo in Hoth gear figure. The goggles and pistol were pulled from my accessories bin. I was never a huge fan of the yellow/gold and all that additional fur on Cold's costume, so I tried to ground the design more in reality by giving him some heavy leather gloves. As a nod to his roots, though, I did want to include fur on the shoulder and parka. My hope is that he's instantly recognizable.


MEANWHILE, AT THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF CENTRAL CITY... 

"Hurry! Before HE shows up!"

"That's all?! We need to make this worth the trouble!"

"Wait-- I thought I heard something..."

"Alright, Cold-- FREEZE! Get it?"

"Geez. Rough room. Only one guy, Lenny? Business is bad. My fault. Now you see me--"

"Now you don't! Howdy! Right behind!"

"Alright, Snart. Back to jail."


Captain Cold is one of the newest in my series of villains, particularly the Legion of Doom... Now that I've got most of the team started, I kinda feel compelled to complete it. Mr. Snart is not alone, however... he's part of a larger nightmare, which continues with the second series of Gotham's Most Wanted, debuting at CustomCon 35!



SOMEWHERE IN GOTHAM...

"Snart-- we are not leaving without the component. You are merely hired help, not the brains of this operation."

"FREEZE! We need to get out of here! The Bat will be here any time!"




COMING UP: A RETURN TO THE PULPS