Saturday, July 6, 2013

THE GREATEST CRIMINAL MIND ON EARTH

Lex Luthor, World's Greatest Criminal Mastermind, has always been a favorite. My first exposure was more than likely via Super Powers and the various Super Friends repackagings out in the early 80s. When I was 4 or 5, I clearly remember being completely confused by Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor WITH HAIR! My pre-K mind was blown.



Despite Hackman's wisecracking performance, I loved Lex Luthor. While playing with my Super Powers and Secret Wars toys, I had Lex conspire Dr. Doom, Kang the Conqueror, Magneto, and Doc Ock-- the ultimate league of evil!



Lex here was completed July 4th, 2013. He is fairly straight-forward, consisting mainly of a GI Joe movie Destro body and Professor X head. The original plan was to do Lex in the Kryptonian battle suit, but, in true Wile E. Coyote style, my robot body has issues... still very much in the works, though.






The Luthor I grew up with was still kind of the mad scientist version, which slowly transitioned into the billionaire industrialist with lackeys. I sorta see him has an evil version of Doc Savage or Indiana Jones: A villainous adventurer with a never-ending supply of resources to get whatever he wants...


NEXT TIME: "I WILL RECORD ALL KNOWLEDGE AND DESTROY ALL CREATION."