Sunday, July 7, 2013

I WILL RECORD ALL KNOWLEDGE AND DESTROY ALL CREATION


Can a digital villain ever truly be stopped or captured? Further complicating things, if a computer is the perpetrator of a crime, is it truly guilty? Can a computer be good OR evil?



Brainiac has always been one of my all-time favorite Superman villains, though I first encountered the more Terminator-looking incarnation from the Super Powers toy line in the mid-80s. An evil robot who's smarter than Superman? Sign me up!



Later I read about Brainiac's other incarnations and learned to appreciate the green skinned living computer, which is the first version I wanted to tackle. 


Completed in June 2013, Brainiac was actually the first of the Man of Steel set finished. He's almost all GI Joe movie parts, with a BAT arm and greebles grafted on. 





Credit where credit is due, Heroes Assembled Customs' Brainiac was a huge inspiration. Love its mechanical arm and quasi-Giger vibe!:

http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcustomfigure.php?FID=49323



Just like Lex Luthor, this Brainiac was inspired by the Man of Steel film. Loved the movie, and I can't wait to see how they integrate these two legendary Superman villains into this new canon. With Brainiac, I hope they go dark and bio-organic, like HR Giger or the Engineers from Prometheus and make him a truly terrifying, unstoppable threat.



COMING UP: WHO KNOWS WHAT EVIL LURKS IN THE HEARTS OF MEN?