Monday, January 14, 2013

CUSTOM CON 33 ENTRY: O FRABJOUS DAY! CALLOOH! CALLAY!

I've loved the Mad Hatter as long as I can remember. Granted, at first it was the Lewis Carroll version of The Mad Hatter from Disney's adaptation of Alice in Wonderland that hooked me, and it's still my favorite Disney picture... then I discovered my favorite superhero had an adversary based on the Hatter! His depictions in Batman: The Animated Series and the works of Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale are constant inspirations.
While I love the Hatter's portrayal in B:TAS, I was never a fan of the character design. This one's much more based on the original Tenniel Alice in Wonderland book illustrations and the comics color scheme. Completed in Spring 2012, Mad Hatter is a mix of a number of different figures, but he's primarily a Dr. Henry Jones torso and Luke Skywalker head. I really liked the cold, creepy expression on his face. While it doesn't fit Luke, it certainly worked for Jervis Tetch.
NEXT TIME: "I chose to exterminate the zombies. I chose to kill. But I hurt myself, too -- to remind me that even I am only human!"