Thursday, January 3, 2013

CUSTOM CON 33 ENTRY: HEART OF ICE

Mr. Freeze has always been one of my favorite villains-- I kinda have a thing for cold-themed baddies-- but his portrayal on the Batman: The Animated Series (and Mike Mignola design) cemented it. His debut episode humanized him and made Victor Fries a tragic character, which is, ultimately, the saddest thing about his full descent into evil.
Produced in 2012, Mr. Freeze is quite different from many of my pieces. Most of my work is created with "modern" GI Joe toys and Star Wars figures, but Freeze was built off a vintage O-ring Deep Six base. Not only did it fit Freeze's aesthetic perfectly, but Deep Six was a childhood favorite, which makes the piece extra special. I had always wanted to use that torso for Mr. Freeze, so when I found it in my fodder Graveyard, I snatched it up. The head is Destro (with old Joe goggles), the lower arms and legs are from an old B.A.T., with Marvel Universe hands grafted on. Freeze's backpack is from the original base figure, with the ice cannon coming from my Star Wars armory.
I may revisit the figure, because some of the articulation is hindered. I may replace the lower limbs entirely, but the rest of the toy will be untouched-- I love it way too much.
NEXT TIME: THE CURIOUS CASE OF ARNOLD WESKER