Saturday, December 1, 2012

BATMANIA DAY 1: "...I'M BATMAN."

In celebration of GOTHAM'S MOST WANTED-- Strange Labs' first-ever entry into CustomCon (12/10-12/14)-- the first half of December will be BATMANIA, with all updates featuring members of The Batman's rogues gallery and maybe even some supporting cast... but first up is The Dark Knight himself, Batman!
Produced in November 2012, The Batman is constructed primarily from a GI Joe 25th Anniversary Crimson Guard, with DC Infinite Heroes Batman head and goggles from my accessories stockpile.
The utility belt is also from my parts graveyard, and this particular design goes on all incarnations of my Batman... There's just something about it that's the perfect balance between military web belt and classic Batman utility belt. Plus, I love the buckle.
The original version of this figure featured a helmeted head-- I was picturing The Batman's uniform being almost totally military-based, for his war on crime, right down to his head gear. Unfortunately, I felt the head was too big for the body and went with one from Infinite Heroes Batman... It was from a previous attempt at Batman, which was cool and minimal (all black, no symbol on chest), but not Batman enough for me.
Now I'm extremely pleased with The Batman, and don't see myself attempting another update anytime soon. At first, I was undecided about the bat chest emblem... I mean, when a man dresses up in a giant bat costume, isn't a symbol redundant? For years I had wanted to make a Batman featuring the old school Batman movie serial symbol, as well as cool, oversized black rubber gloves, so they ended up in the final concept, and actually help make it. So, for right now, it's case closed for The Batman...
NEXT TIME: "WHEN IT COMES TO CLOCKS, I AM KING!"