Saturday, December 22, 2012

CUSTOMCON 33 ENTRY: THE MAN WHO LAUGHS

"1939. While the rest of the world is at war, Gotham City is engulfed in a bloody conflict of its own. Often ranked as the most corrupt city in America, it is a breeding ground for mobsters, serial killers, and costumed "freaks." The Batman fights the worst of the worst. They are GOTHAM'S MOST WANTED"... So begins my entry into CustomCon, which I had been wanting to enter since I first saw it online over a decade ago, probably at http://www.joeamaro.net. My work was showcased alongside amazing, professional toymakers like Josh Izzo, and complimented by my peers-- it was nothing short of a dream come true.
The Joker is one of my all-time favorite villains, so I've created a number of different incarnations over the years. This particular piece was created, easily, from a half dozen different toys, but the concept was very pure: use pieces I'd always thought would make a great, classic Joker. The head was Green Goblin, the vest piece from Mattel's godawful Infinite Heroes Joker (only usable part). The body was formerly a Microman figure, with the lower legs of Cobra Commander grafted on. To be honest, I went through so many different sets of hands that I don't remember where they were from originally.
I consider this Joker to be my take on the "classic" design-- drawing heavily from the character's first appearances, as well as actor Conrad Veidt, star of The Man Who Laughs and acknowledged inspiration for The Joker:
While this is my favorite rendition of the character I've done, it won't be the last. I'm currently wrapping up a piece for a friend, as well as takes on Ledger's chilling, unforgettable Joker from The Dark Knight, and maybe, just maybe one from the Arkham games... NEXT TIME: GOTHAM'S MOST WANTED CONTINUES...