Friday, October 26, 2012

"WHAT IS THIS MAD OBSESSION WITH FREEDOM?"

"You are deluded, Captain. You pretend to be a simple soldier, but in reality you are just afraid to admit that we have left humanity behind. Unlike you, I embrace it proudly. Without fear!"- The Red Skull, Captain America: The First Avenger
Produced in Winter 2012, Red Skull was a very simple, basic repaint of one of the gazillions of clearanced Destro GI Joe movie figures with a Red Skull head, pistol, and Tesseract from the Captain America line-- a true LBC (lazy bastard custom) that was mainly a lark. Like Dr. Doom and Dr. Octopus, Red Skull was an early childhood favorite after watching a Captain America VHS tape featuring his origin. The stylized animation is still seared into my memory. Hugo Weaving's portrayal of the character in Captain America just endeared him more... what a great villain! The Marvel cinematic universe is better with him in it.
Initially, I was puzzled by the nose on the head sculpt of the figure, since Weaving doesn't have one once he reveals his true form. I do like it, however, so I decided to keep it. I feel like it kind of grounds him a little bit more in reality while having the overall same effect. The other day, though, I discovered a spare Red Skull head I did not know about, so a nose job may soon be in order...
NEXT TIME: "NOTHING TO FEAR BUT FEAR ITSELF..."