Wednesday, October 9, 2013

GOTHAM'S MOST WANTED 2: BOSS OF BOSSES

This past summer, I had the honor of showing in my second CustomCon this year. This one was extra special for me because it was hosted at Joe Acevedo's site, where I first stumbled across the show in its infancy. At that moment, it became a dream and goal to be in a CustomCon. To be fortunate enough to be in two was unthinkable at the time, so I'd like to thank Joe again for hosting all these years. 

Definitely check out his site and show some support when you have a sec. There's a TON of material to go through: http://www.joeacevedo.com/

My second entry into CustomCon is a continuation of the first: GOTHAM'S MOST WANTED.

The Dark Knight has THE best rogues gallery, and I knew after the first series that I was going to have to work on all of his major foes. Work on series 2 began while Gotham's Most Wanted series 1 was being submitted.





Black Mask made his impression on me very early. A lot more obscure than The Joker or Scarecrow, I first remember seeing him wearing an orange, pin-stripe zoot suit and an expressionless wooden mask, made from his father's coffin. While never a fan of the orange suit, that creepy, unfeeling face seered itself into my brain. 


One of the more complex pieces from Gotham's Most Wanted 2, Black Mask is a combo of Indiana Jones and GI Joe parts, with random bits like rubber bands. Nowadays, BM wears a black skull mask, but I've worn out that road, and I find the more humanoid appearance to be way more disturbing, for some reason. Much more of a gangster than a traditional super villain, his wardrobe reflects this... he almost reminds me of Sonny Corleone from the first Godfather.


In the Gotham's Most Wanted continuity, Black Mask desires to be the Boss of Bosses in Gotham City, as well as the rest of the Eastern Sea Board-- to do this, he's willing to step on the toes of the Maronis, Rupert Thorne, and the Falcones. Truly a criminal with no honor, Black Mask is finally the gangster worthy of the town...


NEXT TIME: THE ANOMOLY