Monday, October 7, 2013

GOTHAM'S MOST WANTED 2: ASHES TO ASHES


There's something about saboteurs. As a kid, one of my favorite GI Joe figures was a mercenary/saboteur/man of mystery called Firefly (ironically enough)... to me, he was kinda like the Boba Fett of COBRA. Years later, I found out about the Batman villain of the same name via Batman: The Animated Series and immediately developed an inexplicable fondness for him. Aside from the jetpack some incarnations of the character wear, I find Firefly to be one of Batman's rogues most grounded in reality: A pyromaniac obsessed with reducing Gotham City to ashes.


Firefly was one of those pieces that just immediately came together. Once I saw the head from a GI Joe movie Viper figure, I knew I had my "realistic" version of Firefly's helmet, and everything else fell into place. His upper body is from a GI Joe 25th Anniversary Ace figure, with Jungle Duke legs. As always, the accessories (TINY tools!) came from my Graveyard and were hand-weathered. 


In the Gotham's Most Wanted 'verse, Firefly is pretty much the same down-on-his-luck-FX artist-turned -villain. Just like the Spider-Man villain Mysterio, the special FX angle always fascinated me about the character, and endeared him to me, since I've been obsessed with visual FX all of my life. I didn't want to make him too tech-savvy, so I ditched the jetpack. I figured Firefly would mainly rely on gunpowder, grenades, dynamite and well-planned getaways to evade capture.

Perhaps his luck as run out...