Monday, April 20, 2015

THE DEVIL OF HELL'S KITCHEN


"Bob, I'm telling you, check out Daredevil when you have a second. Bendis is killing it right now." I was waiting in line at the movies with one of my best friends and frequent collaborators, Manny Gomez (AKA So Crazy It Just Might Work), when he made the recommendation that finally stuck. Shortly thereafter, I picked up an issue of Daredevil and was hooked immediately. I was a fan for life.

Fast-forward 15 years.

Netflix announces an original series and I'm very cautiously optimistic… would this be a retread of the horrible early 00s DD movie? Announcement after announcement gave me more confidence. The great Charlie Cox would be Matt Murdock. My favorite character actor of all-time Vincent D'onofrio would be playing Kingpin of Crime, Wilson Fisk. The visual tone was dark & brooding, as if David Fincher was directing Frank Miller & Bendis's version of the character. Then I saw that trailer. 

I had to make a figure.


I began working with whatever reference photos I could find, which, much to my chagrin, would prove to be inaccurate. My first attempt at the character utilized a 25th Anniversary Snake Eyes body, Duke head, and movie Cobra Trooper legs. It debuted the same day as the Netflix show, and was dismantled the same day. 

By the end of the first episode, I was totally addicted to the show and had already started Daredevil Mk2.

I kept the same head and legs, but the torso was borrowed from a GI JOE MP and the hands were from a newer version of the Cobra Trooper. The hands had two extra points of articulation, so now Daredevil is even more poseable.

He's even armed with the wooden batons that were a gift from his old mentor, made from real wooden dowels ('natch). 



While I am planning to make Mr. Murdock in his red attire, I haven't started the piece just yet. I've got base materials in mind, though, so he should be underway soon enough. Honestly, this stealth "Ninja Suit" is cool enough, and I actually would've been okay with it being the official DD costume… but I digress.

In the meantime, I'll be trying to figure out how to build a version of Wilson Fisk that doesn't look completely ridiculous…