Sunday, September 1, 2013

THE SENTINEL OF LIBERTY



Months ago images surfaced of Chris Evans in costume shooting the upcoming film Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and I was immediately smitten with the design of the suit. While I had seen the all-blue costume in the comics before (worn by Agent Steve Rogers), I'd never seen it combined with Cap's mask/helmet combo... I thought it looked bad-ass and immediately had to make one to fit into my universe. 


Completed in July 2013, Captain America is primarily constructed from a GI Joe Shock Trooper/Riot Viper base, topped with an Ultimate WWII Cap head. Web gear from a 25th Anniversary figure from the fodder bin completes the ensemble. The shield is from a Marvel Universe Captain America. The rifle was also borrowed from Ultimate WWII Cap.



My take on this costume is that it's Cap's stealth uniform, for more top secret/black-ops missions... I keep picturing something like a cross between Captain America and Solid Snake from Metal Gear solid. To go along with Cap's more subdued look, the shield was painted in tones of gunmetal, inspired by a teaser poster for the movie, where all of the red and blue paint has been stripped off, just leaving the Vibranium.

Hydra Facility 1941: Ambushing a Hydra Soldier

Spotted by an evil Nazi robot!

"One of Zola's designs... I'm getting close."

The face of evil: Dr. Arnim Zola

Very much looking forward to Captain America 2, but I see this Cap as more of a pulp hero version of the character in my universe... without the more blatant, costume-y aspects of the red, white, and blue design. He's meant to fit in with my pulp heroes collection, and to go on those adventures. A globe-trotting super-spy that has partnered up with everyone from the US Government to The Avengers, to vigilantes like The Batman...




So now that I've made two Caps, what good is he without The Winter Soldier? I've already got some concepts in mind, but for now, he'll just have to be content knocking out countless Nazi stooges, giant evil robots, mad scientists, and the most vile of all.. The Red Skull!


TOP SECRET: FROM THE S.H.I.E.L.D. ARCHIVES 

Infiltrating HYDRA bunker, 1941

On the hunt for Dr. Arnim Zola

Assault on German command center 1942

Waiting to strike...

"That laugh... Red Skull is here..."

"Ah... Captain. So predictable. What took you so long?"

Coordinating a strike with the vigilante known as The Batman. Before he could be apprehended, Batman disappeared in a cloud of hallucinogenic smoke that induced paralyzing fear.

With S.H.I.E.L.D. head Nick Fury, 1940

One of The Avengers' first missions, 1938. Dr. Bruce Banner is still grey, since he had not experienced his secondary mutation, which turned him into the green-skinned Hulk.

The Sentinel of Liberty


COMING UP: GOTHAM'S MOST WANTED 2