Friday, March 8, 2013

DAREDEVIL: THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR

   

 Daredevil, for me, was always one of those characters that was so visually striking and whose story is so compelling, that I couldn't help but fall in love. The concept and visual were so powerful that that's all I needed. Once I was old enough to read, I got caught up in the criminal underworld of Hell's Kitchen-- very reminiscent of Gotham City, which made it all the more attractive. Then came Bendis's epic run on the book, which made me a zealot. 


What's funny is that this is the second incarnation of Daredevil I've created, but this one was done first. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in a concept that I run with it for a blitzkrieg customizing project... this was one such occasion. Inspired by filmmaker Joe Carnahan's amazing Daredevil "sizzle reel" pitch, I got to work immediately: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92cVd9HalHs 

...I just kinda picture it happening in 1943, not 1973

   

 Matt Murdock here began life as a Duke figure with 25th anniversary Joe legs, topped off by a modded Marvel Universe Captain America head. The gloves were pulled from the Fodder Graveyard, but I'm pretty sure they're from a Star Wars figure, as is Hornhead's belt, with a GI Joe holster grafted on. The billyclub is simply a toothpick, cut and repainted.



 

  

 Just like Captain America, I see Daredevil as a part (very distant, however) of my Gotham's Most Wanted universe, set in the 1930s-40s. My take is, that, just like The Batman, Daredevil began as a vigilante specifically targeting the criminals of Hell's Kitchen, and The Kingpin of Crime. Since New York, Bludhaven, and Gotham City are in such close proximity, the heroes did cross paths early in their careers... but when war was declared, Matt Murdock became a mercenary, occasionally working alongside the Avengers Initiative. 

 










UPCOMING: THE WORLD'S GREATEST SUPER SPY, A GHOST WHO WALKS, PORTRAITS OF VILLAINY...