Saturday, January 18, 2014

"LEG GODT"


When taking my final shots for my holiday series 'Twas Christmas Told The Merriest Tale, on a whim I decided to remove the majority of the toys and replace them with a miniature hand-built rocket and tiny astronaut, just to see what the juxtaposition would look like-- I ended up with one of my favorite pieces I've ever done. 

I was so pleased with the result that I submitted it to this year's Bear & Bird Gallery's Square Show, my first of 2014. The exhibition opened Friday, January 17th, and runs through March 1st. 

Bear & Bird's site: http://www.bearandbird.com

Complete transparency, when I shot "Leg Godt"-- which, translated from Danish, means "Play Well"-- I didn't realize 2014 was the 65th anniversary of LEGO. The name of the company comes from the phrase, and I thought it was apropos because the tiny explorer is about to have a wild (but fun) adventure. Since LEGO bricks feature so prominently, "Leg Godt" it had to be, as a loving tribute to my favorite toy growing up. 

...Now that I know about the anniversary, though, a celebration is on!

For the rest of the year, I have a series of LEGO-themed images planned... and now comes the fun part of stocking up on pieces!