Friday, May 3, 2013

THE GHOST WHO WALKS


Lee Falk's Phantom is a character I remember from an early age because of the Defenders of the Earth cartoon of the mid-80s. Unlike Batman or Spider-Man, however, I didn't become obsessed with The Ghost Who Walks. I never read stacks of his comics growing up... like any great concept, I was more into the idea of The Phantom, and where I could take him and his pulp comic brethren.



Completed in Spring 2013, Kit Walker here is composed almost entirely from common table scraps on my bench: 25th Anniversary Snake Eyes upper body and lower legs/boots, random Cobra Trooper upper legs, and a Destro head. The parts were laying out, and I saw the Destro head in just the right light to sell me.





While I kept The Phantom's rings and silver pistols, I ditched the striped undies and skull buckle in favor of a military-style web belt to ground the design more in reality...  While I can see a man wearing this basic uniform without being too costume-y, I still can't explain the purple. I did try to tone down the brightness (he's a "ghost," remember?), and was in no way inspired by the costume from the terrible Billy Zane film from 20 years ago, hahaha.




Now that I've completed one Defender, there's a lot of temptation to finish the team... there's always room for a Flash Gordon and Mandrake the Magician... and Ming the Merciless would be an amazing rogue, worthy of even The Batman...


NEXT TIME: WHY SO SERIOUS?