Thursday, November 15, 2012

DOES WHATEVER A SPIDER CAN

It all started with Flash Gordon, and not even the good one. I was sucked into the 1980s Flash movie-- complete with Queen cheesiness-- as a kid, and was hooked on "pulp" heroes ever since. Whether it was Defenders of the Universe (a sort of Justice League of pulp characters), The Rocketeer (pulp style, but not from the 1930s-40s), The Shadow, or The Green Hornet, I couldn't get enough. Now it influences so much of what I do and infuses itself into almost everything I make.
Produced in 2011, Spider-Man Noir is another true LBC (lazy bastard custom), primarily composed of Snake Eyes parts repainted black. Though the head isn't 100% on-model, it screams Spidey, and I love using it for GI Joe versions of the character. After completing this photo shoot, I decided to revisit this piece, so a new, more accurate head may be in order.
I first discovered Spider-Man Noir when I saw the video game Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, where you play as parallel reality versions of the character. I immediately fell in love and went to work, even going so far as to use a Snake Eyes with enhanced wrist articulation so he's extra poseable.
I decided on the most basic design of the character because I love its simplicity so much-- though it is extremely bare-bones, it works as a very proto, real world version of a 1940s Spider-Man. There are more elaborate looks, but I found them garish... this one suits my needs just fine.
There are a number of other pulpy/noir takes on my favorite characters coming up, as well as a major announcement. Stay tuned...